50. Building a Successful Apparel Company w/ SAM MEANS
You may not recognize Sam Means' name but chances are you're familiar with his work. From 2001 until 2008 Means was one half of the celebrated Arizona indie-pop act The Format alongside Nate Ruess (who later went on to form the Grammy Award-winning act, fun.). After The Format called it quits, Means put his focus on starting a family and creating a band merch company: HelloMerch.com and apparel company HelloApparelStore.com
- Background of Sam
- HelloMerch.com allows artists to sell merchandise online and on tour without signing major label
- Is this limited to just bands?
- Difference between Hello Apparel and Hello Merch?
- Which came first?
- In todays environment, is it better to start and grow your own brand, or create a company that encourages and supports others to start and run their brands?
- How has Amazon helped, or hurt your growth. How do you see Amazon impacting you over the next few years? A partner or competitor?
- Are you still in the music business? Is it cool or weird to see former band members find success in music?
Questions from Quora:
- What are good books, or resources, for someone interested in starting an apparel company?
- What was the biggest hurdle you have had to overcome during the process of starting an apparel company?
- What are the initial quantities one should produce when starting an online apparel company? (Buying in bulk leads to lower costs, but....)
- How important is the company or brand’s name when growing your apparel business?
- What is the most important first-hire to make when growing an apparel business?
- How do you find the best manufacturer without any contacts?