About Eric Walters:
Eric moved to Arizona over 10 years ago and has not felt the need to beat the heat since! His passion for podcasting started as a long-distance relationship with his friend back home in the form of a music podcast. Within the show was a segment titled, “What the F*ck Are You Drinking?” which triggered him to begin a podcast about the exploding craft beer scene in Arizona. Today, Eric travels to breweries, distilleries and more to hear inspiring stories from entrepreneurs who want to make it happen in the craft beer scene.
His favorite place not only in Arizona but anywhere is downtown Flagstaff. He says that since he is a beer lover and now since beer is his career, Flagstaff is his mecca with 6 breweries or brewery taprooms all within close walking distance. There are great whiskey bars there too. He also mentions the amazing food there once again all within close walking distance.
Eric has two quotes that he loves equally. “Be water, my friend” by Bruce Lee. He describes the meaning of this quote is to be flexible. “Be shapeless, formless. Like water. Water can flow. Or it can crash. When water goes into a cup, it BECOMES the cup.” Don’t stubbornly stick to one idea or approach but become what the situation requires and adjust accordingly. His other favorite quote is, “regrets of today and fears of tomorrow are the twin thieves that rob us of today.”
His wife has had the biggest impact on who he is today. She has always been his biggest fan and biggest advocate. She sees things in him that he does not even see and she also has a way to help him see it. She encourages him to no end but also holds him accountable. He says that if he is having a pity party, she will shut it down like a high school kegger. She fully understands him as a person and knows how to push him in the right direction. Plus, he says she is a ray of sunshine that brings positive energy every single day.
- When/why did Eric Walters move to Arizona?
- How did he start podcasting?
- How did podcasting change him?
- Who has guided him throughout his podcasting career?
- How did Arizona Food and Beer hear about him?
- What is Eric’s key to staying focused and growing your podcast?
- What is Eric’s podcast all about?
- His advice to anyone who wants to start a podcast.
- Moved here 10 years ago from Ohio; likes the AZ heat.
- Loves the Steelers.
- Started a music podcast with a friend 2 years ago through Skype.
- Hired a podcast coach to help them out and give them more structure.
- Looks up to Joe Rogan.
- Had a segment called ‘What the F are you drinking?’ in his podcast which helped other breweries find them.
- Challenges that come with a co-host and editing.
- Write drunk, edit sober.
- Part of a podcasting group.
- Went off on his own and helped him gain confidence.
- Going into making a podcast he thought it was more of a hobby and his wife thought there was a switch.
- Vision of success continuously changes.
- Likes Diners, Drive-In’s, and Drives + Chef’s Table.
- Partnership with Arizona Food + Beer
- Wanted to grow organically and gain traction in the beer scene naturally
- Started doing beer events at Helton Brewing beer school
- Starting out with a platform and the platform gets you to do more and more things; be more involved.
- Previously in sales so he has experience navigating conversations
- Quit his job recently to pursue this full-time.
- Has gained confidence from doing more and more events and podcasts
- Having the right resources and people at your plate helps build your network and connections.
- Utilizes Instagram a lot for getting people on the podcast
- Used to never take risks
- Have to be selfish to get long-term success
- If you’re really passionate about something, you will continuously chip away at it and see where it goes.
- Consistency in any type of podcast or anything you do.
- Consistency is king and quality is queen.
- Really feels like his podcast is all about Arizona Local.
- Just take that chance and do it.
- Regrets of yesterday and fears of tomorrow quote…
- Wants to get the story of their brand out there.
Connect with Eric Walters on Instagram: @tapthatazpodcast
Listen to the Tap That AZ podcast here: https://www.tapthataz.com/
And don’t forget to connect with your host, Skyler Irvine, on Instagram: @skylerirvine
Thank YOU for your support!